Location: Valletta


The lift serves as a marvellous connection, linking the Valletta Grand Harbour to the Upper Barrakka Gardens and Valletta city centre. It was first operated between 1905 to 1973, but later it was dismantled completely in 1983.  However, in 2012 a complete restoration to the fortification walls and a brand-new lift was installed. The lift sees hundreds of people a day since it’s a practical alternative to the cruise ship passengers who disembark at the Valletta Passenger Terminal to reach the Valletta city centre, where the hub of churches, museums, shops and restaurants can be reached within 25 seconds.